Anti insect mesh is a new agro net technique
especially designed to create an insect barrier against the diffusion of some pest insects that are capable to destroy entire cultivars of crops. Insecticides are often ineffective to control the attack and proliferation of diseases carried by insects because insects evolve and become resistant to chemical products. The most useful way to lead with insects and with consequent diseases that cause huge losses is preventing insects to access to the cultivation area. Either installed directly over the plants or supported by a structure or placed as an insect barrier in doors, windows and ventilation elements in greenhouses, anti insect mesh is an excellent protection. Anti insect mesh provides a double barrier.
On one hand anti insect mesh can act as an optical barrier.
In fact it can disoriented the insects due to a specific chemical component added to the net mesclun. These non toxic additives cause an alteration of the light spectrum that inhibit the vision of insects. So the anti is like a sort of repellent because insects find more difficult to reach the crops. On the other hand anti insect mesh provides a physical barrier. In fact the high density of the mesh has a mechanical blocking effect. The size of the holes of the mesh is very narrow so that the smallest insect cannot penetrate, such as thrips. At the same time the passage of the proper amount of sun and air is guaranteed. Decrease of the penetration of insects results in a drastic reduction of infections.
Insects that anti insect mesh repels: thrips, aphids, Hemisia tobacco, whitefly, beetle.
Crops on which it can be employed: tomatoes, squash, watermelon, peppers, cucumbers, melon, eggplant, floriculture.
Advantages of installing anti insect mesh:
- Greener agriculture as it is not necessary to provide anti-pest chemicals
- More economical and long-lasting method
- Protects the entire crop
- Prevents spread of diseases and viruses
- Allows air circulation, in a variable percentage depending on the density of the fabric
- Provides shade, in a variable percentage depending on the color of the mesh
- Acts as windbreaker, depending on the density of the mesh
Installation tips for anti insect mesh:
- Flexible and easy to adjust to the size needed.
- If the crops are outdoors, in an open field, anti insect mesh must be installed as to completely covering the cultivar or it can be supported by a structure and fastened to it.
- In greenhouses it is used to cover the ventilation spaces, windows, doors, walls.
- To guarantee the maximum useful life of the fabric it is important to avoid the friction of the mesh with the structure by protecting the corners.
- It is important not to overtighten the mesh so that there are no over-tensions that can cause excessive stress.
- must always be kept fixed on the structure to avoid the entrance of pests.
When anti insect mesh is removed, it must be stored indoors and protected from the sun and atmospheric agents such as rain and wind for longer durability.